San Gimignano, Toscana, Italia has its origins in the 3rd century BC as a small Etruscan village. During the 1st century two patrician brothers fled Rome and built two castles. During the 6th and 7th centuries fortifications have been built up and the settlement was called the “Castle of San Gimignano”.
During the Middle Ages and the Renaissance era, San Gimignano became a stopping point for Catholic pilgrims on their way to Rome and Vatican. The city flourished until 1348 when it submitted to the rule of Florence as a result of the Black Death when half of the population died. As a result of its historical background, the architectural landscape include Romanesque and Gothic styles, in terms of churches and secular buildings. The historical centre of San Gimignano became part of the UNESCO World Heritage.
San Gimignano is now famous for the Five Towers and one of Tuscany’s greatest white wine – Vernaccia di San Gimignano. The highest tower – Torre Grossa (Big Tower), located in Piazza del Duomo, is open to the public and offers views over the town and the surrounding hills where the Vernaccia grapes are grown.
The historical center has ZTL (limited traffic zone) enforced but there are several well organised parking spaces in the area including some that are specifically dedicated for campers.